Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
Some would argue that breakfast tacos need eggs. I would argue that they aren't a requirement, but certainly a fixture ingredient. But we're not talking about breakfast tacos...we're talking "brinner tacos" tonight! Soft tacos that aren't traditional tacos because they use breakfast sausage, mushrooms and some veggies...sizzled to perfection, then garnished and rolled for consumption. At breakfast, lunch or dinner...it doesn't matter, these "Brinner Tacos" are perfect. Top with whatever you'd like...we added fresh pico de gallo and some shredded Jack cheese. I think a little dollop of sour cream or even guacamole would have been a great addition too. (Also, I doubled up and froze the exras! Perfect "on the go" breakfast, or "grab n go" lunch for Bill!)
- 1 lb ground pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 small orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small yellow pepper, chopped
- 16 -20 flour tortillas
- shredded cheese
- pico de gallo or salsa
- sour cream
- avocado, slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the sausage with the taco seasoning. Once almost browned, stir in the mushrooms, zucchini, and pepper pieces. Saute with the sausage until the sausage is cooked through and the mushrooms begin to brown.
- Spoon the sausage and mushroom mixture into the tortillas and top with favorite taco toppings.
- Serve Sausage and Mushroom "Brinner" Tacos with side of rice and beans, or fresh fruit.