Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A wonderful hearty main dish.. meat and potatoes all in one dish.. a great way to use up any leftover mashed potatoes..this casserole with worth making, it's very good!
Top Review by AmyZoe
Kittencal, you've done it again! This is a wonderful use of leftover mashers, and you don't really notice you're "eating potatoes again". The combination of Italian sausage and vegetables with the potatoes is divine. I wouldn't change a thing...
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves minced fresh garlic, to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (can use canned also if desired, but fresh is better!)
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup sliced ripe olives, drained,to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese, to taste
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or 1 -2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
- In a skillet, cook the sausage until no longer pink; drain fat, can cut in large pieces or leave whole.
- Place in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Top/spread evenly with the 3 cups of mashed potatoes.
- In the same skillet, saute the onion, garlic and green pepper in oil for 5 minutes, or until the veggies are crisp-tender.
- Stir in mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, basil, salt and pepper; mix to combine (do not cook).
- Spoon over potatoes to within 1-inch of edge.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and the chopped parsley on top.
- Bake, uncovered for 30-35 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned.