A wonderful hearty main dish.. meat and potatoes all in one dish.. a great way to use up any leftover mashed potatoes..this casserole with worth making, it's very good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves minced fresh garlic, to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (can use canned also if desired, but fresh is better!)
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 3/4 cup sliced ripe olives, drained,to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese, to taste
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or 1 -2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
- 3In a skillet, cook the sausage until no longer pink; drain fat, can cut in large pieces or leave whole.
- 4Place in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- 5Top/spread evenly with the 3 cups of mashed potatoes.
- 6In the same skillet, saute the onion, garlic and green pepper in oil for 5 minutes, or until the veggies are crisp-tender.
- 7Stir in mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, basil, salt and pepper; mix to combine (do not cook).
- 8Spoon over potatoes to within 1-inch of edge.
- 9Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and the chopped parsley on top.
- 10Bake, uncovered for 30-35 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage and Mashed Potato Bake
Serving Size: 1 (338 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 696.3
- Calories from Fat 397
- Total Fat 44.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 75.1 mg
- Sodium 2201.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 30.8 g