Recipe by Angie D.
I think i got this recipe from an issue of Taste Of Home. It is one of my sons' favorites. Even my husband (who doesn't like mac and cheese) loves this one. Serve with salad and you're good to go.
Top Review by Theresa P
This was very good . I cut the recipe in half and had no problems . I used half a roll of the hot sausage and half a roll of regular . I didn't add any cayenne (we are wimps) and it was plenty spicey for DH and I . This was nice and creamy and very quick to make . A simple , easy meal .
- 2 lbs hot breakfast sausage (i use Jimmy Dean)
- 1 (10 ounce) package macaroni, cooked to pkg. directions and drained
- 1⁄2 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, drained and chopped (can use diced tomatoes)
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) packagefresh sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (i add a little more..we like it spicy)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook sausage until no longer pink, drain.
- Melt Velveeta with milk and mustard until smooth, add cayenne This can be done in a sauce pan over med-low heat or in the microwave. Be sure to stir often.
- In a large bowl, mix sausage, cooked macaroni, veggies, and cheese mixture well.
- Pour into a 13x9-inch dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and let cool for 10 minutes.
- **Note: You can use regular breakfast sausage and no cayenne for a less spicy dish.