Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
I rarely make anything that is a lot of work, even if it is worth it. This soup is an exception. It comes from the Asheville (NC) Junior League's 1982 Cookbook "Mountain Elegance". The contributor is Lane Weaver Byrd (Mrs. R.W.H.). My mother-in-law asked me for this recipe, and that is a monumental occasion! I have never been able to find Oxtail Soup Mix, so I use Vegetable. I usually use ground hot Italian sausage in place of the whole ones, just to try to streamline the process a little. Please try this recipe. You will not be disappointed!
- 2 cups lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 7 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pinches herbes de provence
- 1 lb sausage meat
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1⁄2 cup dry pasta, cut into bits
- 1 (2 5/8 ounce) packageknorr oxtail soup mix
- In a kettle cover lentils with water and add seasonings. Bring the water to a boil over medium heat, skimming the froth as it rises, and simmer, covered, for about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, crumble and brown sausage meat over medium-high heat. Transfer to the kettle with a slotted spoon and drain excess fat. Prick Italian sausages with a fork and brown in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into 1/4-inch sections. Add to kettle.
- Add remaining ingredients to kettle. Bring soup to a boil over medium heat and simmer for 1 hour.
This was FANTASTIC!!! Everyone enjoyed thoroughly. Thank you (smile) for posting!!! chachi lulul