I found this recipe at The Joy of Soup website. It is very similar to Carrabba's Sausage and Lentil soup. It was so good I just had to share. I put the veggies all in the food processor and diced the fine. Everything was about the size of the lentil
- 1 large carrot
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 bay leaf
- Dice the first four ingredients and sauté them in a large pot with the oil. Sauté until tender.
- Remove vegetables from the pan and add the Italian sausage, removed from the casing, to the pan. Brown then drain off fat.
- Pour 8 cups for chicken broth, the vegetables back into the pot.
- Add tomatoes and lentils.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer until the lentils are tender, 30-45 minutes.
- Remove 1/3 of the soup and puree. then return it to the pot.
- Correct the seasonings and remove bay leaf.