Recipe by Vicki G
I found this in one of the early editions of Country magazine and have tweaked it just a bit. My husband loves this simple to make soup and it freezes well.
- 1⁄2 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 15 ounces tomatoes
- 6 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 30 ounces water
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup dry lentils
- 1⁄4 cup spicy brown mustard or 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the sausage and drain fat.
- Chop vegetables.
- Dissolve chicken bouillon in water.
- Put meat, vegetables, soup,lentils,bay leaf, and water in a 5-quart Dutch oven, or larger stock pot if doubling the recipe.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour or until lentils and vegetables are tender. Stir in mustard. Remove bay leaf before serving.