Recipe by Snowbunny Andorra
My mum used to cook this on wet English weekends. Very cheap and fabulously tasty casserole to warm your insides and let you forget about the constant grey drizzle outside! Can also be made in a slow cooker.
- 8 lambs kidneys
- 4 links pork sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 12 button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 60 ml dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 200 ml beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut kidneys in quarters, discarding the hard centre.
- Heat half the oil and half the butter in a large pan and lightly brown the kidneys and sausages.
- Remove the sausages and kidneys from the pan, slicing the sausages into thirds.
- Add remaining oil and butter to pan and cook onion and mushrooms for five minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with flour, stir, then add wine.
- Stir until all residue in pan has been incorporated then add tomato puree, stock and bay leaf.
- Stir until thickened slightly, season to taste, then add the kidney and sausage.
- At this point, transfer to slow cooker if required and cook on a low heat for a couple of hours.
- Alternatively, cover the pan and simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more stock if required.
- Sprinkle with parsley to serve.