Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Perfect for a cold and snowy day! This is a quick hearty soup that's got a nice almost creamy broth, but without the cream. Serve it with a crusty bread and there is nothing better for a quick week night meal. Adapted from Martha Stewart.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper flakes
- 12 ounces chicken sausage, cut into 1/2-inch half slices
- 1 1⁄2 lbs waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks (about 5 medium)
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bunch about 12 ounces kale, stemmed and shredded
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium.
- Add onion and sliced sausage; cook until onions are soft and sausage is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes; cook until fragrant.
- Add the potatoes and broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the kale and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until kale is wilted and potatoes are done.