Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Really good soup, cooks quickly. My boyfriend requests it weekly. Serve with a loaf of crusty bread. The recipe says Cajun sausage, but it works just as well with any kind of smoked sausage, including turkey. Just add extra Cajun seasoning to taste.
- 6 ounces cajun-style smoked sausage
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can navy beans or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can great northern beans
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 5 cups spinach or 5 cups kale
- salt and pepper
- cajun seasoning
- Cut sausage into bite-size pieces,and cook over the stove in a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and cajun seasoning to taste.
- Add chicken broth, and bring to a boil.
- Add diced tomatoes, simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Add greens, and cook over medium-low heat until tender.
- add beans, and cook until heated through.
This is a very good recipe. I followed the instructions as written but let it cook on med-low for a couple of hours. I try to do this with all of my soups just because the flavors infuse more.
Wonderful tasting soup and a big hit with my family! I removed the casing from the sausage prior to cooking. (I don't like the texture of casing in soup - personal preference) I will definitely try turkey sausage next time. Great idea!
I have to agree ... this really is a good soup. Easy as well! Love to add these quick to make soup recipes to my collection for those days when there simply isn't time to start a long simmering soup pot. I used frozen spinach, only because I didn't have fresh on hand. Added a touch of Cajun seasoning and put the seasoning on the table for those wishing more. Thank you for sharing this delicious soup recipe.