Sausage and Green Chile Strata
- Spray an 8-inch square pan baking dish with Crisco Cooking Spray.
- Brush bread slices with melted shortening.
- Place 4 slices in the prepared dish. Top with 1/2 the sausage, chiles and cheese.
- Top with 4 more slices of bread, then remaining sausage and chiles.
- Beat together eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over the layers; sprinkle with remaining cheese. (Can be prepared to this point up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated, covered, until ready to bake.).
- Preheat oven to 350. Bake strata until puffed and center is set, about 40 minutes.
- Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before cutting into squares; serve warm.