Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
From a supermarket handout, this is one of my favorite "comfort me" soups. I could eat the pot by myself (and sometimes do) but I'm always willing to share. Hope you'll try it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3⁄4 cup minced shallot
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweet Italian sausage (about 3 out of casing, crumbled)
- 1 1⁄2 cups leeks, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, stems removed, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, seeded, chopped (I use a 15-oz can of chopped tomatoes, juice and all)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan; add garlic and shallots. Cook 1 minute. Add sausage, cook until browned, about 3 minutes. Add leeks, fennel, carrots, tomatoes, parsley and sprinkle all with salt and pepper. Cook another 2 minutes. Add chicken broth. Cover and simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Serve immediately.
We loved this. I didn't use leeks (didn't have), used Jimmie Dean regular sausage (one roll), 1 cup fresh tomato and it was yummy! will make again.