Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Make and share this Sausage and Fennel Ragout With Creamy Polenta recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large fennel bulb, cut in half lengthwise, cored, and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add in olive oil.
- Add in sausage, breaking it up with the back of a wooden spoon; cook until browned, 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the red onion, fennel, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for about 4 minutes or until the vegetables wilt and the onions become translucent.
- While the vegetables are cooking, start the polenta: In a saucepan, combine 2 ½ cups chicken broth and milk; season with salt and pepper.
- Place over med-high heat and bring to a simmer.
- Back to the vegetables: once the vegetables have wilted, add in the white wine and remaining 1 ½ cups chicken broth to the skillet; increase heat to high and bring up to a simmer.
- Cook about 4-5 minutes, to reduce liquids by half; stir in the chopped parsley.
- To the simmering chicken stock/milk, add in the polenta; whisk constantly until the cornmeal masses together.
- Add in the butter and grated cheese; stir to combine (if polenta becomes too thick, add more broth or milk).
- Serve polenta in a shallow bowl; top with a helping of sausage and fennel ragout; garnish with more Parmigiano-Reggiano.
I didn't think I liked fennel but tried this recipe and was very surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Will definitely make it again!
this was excellent Period! perfect and I could eat it all day its a keeper Thanks.