1/1 Photo of Sausage and Fennel Ragout With Creamy Polenta
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large fennel bulb, cut in half lengthwise, cored, and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add in olive oil.
- 2Add in sausage, breaking it up with the back of a wooden spoon; cook until browned, 4-5 minutes.
- 3Add in the red onion, fennel, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for about 4 minutes or until the vegetables wilt and the onions become translucent.
- 4While the vegetables are cooking, start the polenta: In a saucepan, combine 2 ½ cups chicken broth and milk; season with salt and pepper.
- 5Place over med-high heat and bring to a simmer.
- 6Back to the vegetables: once the vegetables have wilted, add in the white wine and remaining 1 ½ cups chicken broth to the skillet; increase heat to high and bring up to a simmer.
- 7Cook about 4-5 minutes, to reduce liquids by half; stir in the chopped parsley.
- 8To the simmering chicken stock/milk, add in the polenta; whisk constantly until the cornmeal masses together.
- 9Add in the butter and grated cheese; stir to combine (if polenta becomes too thick, add more broth or milk).
- 10Serve polenta in a shallow bowl; top with a helping of sausage and fennel ragout; garnish with more Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage and Fennel Ragout With Creamy Polenta
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 477.9
- Calories from Fat 257
- Total Fat 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 65.0 mg
- Sodium 1650.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 30.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: