Recipe by Leta
Delicious make ahead breakfast casserole from Pillsbury Brunches and Desserts. Great for Christmas morning!
Top Review by Bergy
Leta, Leta me tell you! This recipe is perfect for when you have a gang for brunch, lunch, watching THE game or for dinner. It is tasty, rib sticking and easy - what a combination. I love the fact that you can do ahead (even overnight) and just pop it into the oven. I scaled the recipe down to less than half and had no problems so it is very versatile as well. I used Gouda & cheddar and Oktoberfest sausage and cut the sausage into 1" chunks I loved the topping - it is just the right finishing touch. If you are looking for a recipe to feed a gang you won't go wrong with this one - Thank-you Leta!!!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bulk pork sausage
- 5 cups frozen country style shredded hash brown potatoes (from 30 oz pkg)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) jars sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 12 ounces shredded mozzarella-cheddar blend cheese (divided 3 cups)
- 8 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 Italian plum tomatoes, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray 13X9 inch glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook sausage in large skillet until no longer pink.
- In large bowl, combine potatoes, onions, mushrooms, olives, 1 Tbls basil and 2 cups cheese.
- Add cooked sausage; mix lightly.
- Spoon evenly into prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Beat eggs in large bowl.
- Add milk and 1/2 tsp salt; beat well.
- Pour over potato mixture in baking dish.
- Spray a sheet of foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cover baking dish with sprayed foil; refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- To serve, heat oven to 350F.
- Bake, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Uncover; bake an additional 20-25 minutes or until center is set.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- While casserole is baking, make topping by heating oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and 1/3 tsp salt; cook about 5 minutes or until tomatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in 2 Tbls basil.
- Spoon warm topping over individual servings of casserole.