Recipe by CollegeKid22
This is a very interesting recipe. I found this recipe in a cookbook for people with diabetes. My father has diabetes and he loves this recipe.
- 4 ounces turkey sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green chili, undrained
- 3⁄4 cup frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup white flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat milk (1%)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook sausage, onion, and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat until meat is browned and crumbled.
- Add tomatoes, chilies, corn, and chili powder and simmer 20 minutes.
- Spoon mixture into an 8-inch baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl, mixing well.
- Combine egg, milk, and oil in a small bowl.
- Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Spread corn bread mixture over sausage mixture.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool for 5 minutes. Enjoy!