Recipe by RedVinoGirl
This is a recipe I have not yet tried that I found on Cooking Light. Sounds like everything I would love in a recipe! It states you can use sweet turkey Italian Sausage if you don't like things spicy. I plan to serve this over spaghetti and linguine for a complete meal!
- cooking spray
- 1 lb hot Italian turkey sausage
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons madeira wine or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 8 cups kale, chopped (about 10 ounces)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat-free chicken broth or 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 16 littleneck clams
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (garbanzo beans)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a Dutch oven over high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray.
- Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage to pan; cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in chopped onion and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Add Madeira; cook 1 minute or until liquid evaporates.
- Add kale, salt, and chicken broth; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in clams and chickpeas; cook, covered, 10 minutes or until shells open. Discard any unopened shells.