Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is so easy but so flavorful--I couldn't believe how little time it took to prepare. If you want something spicier use chorizo or hot Italian sausage. You can also eat this over rice, quinoa, or couscous. I topped mine with avocado and cilantro but didn't have any lime wedges or sour cream, and it was still delicious. YUM! Recipe courtesy of Spilling the Beans.
- canola oil or olive oil
- 1 lb chicken sausage or turkey sausage or Italian sausage
- 1 garlic, bulb (cloves separated, peeled, and chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 2 cups chickpeas (if canned, rinsed and drain 19 oz can)
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups beef stock
- squeeze lime juice
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro
- lime wedge
- In a large saucepan, heat a drizzle of oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausage and garlic and saute until the sausage is golden brown and cooked through, breaking it up with a spoon.
- Add the jalapeno and cumin and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato juice, chickpeas, and stock and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes, until everything is cooked through and the broth has thickened slightly.
- Add a squeeze of lime, season with salt and pepper, and serve hot, topped with sour cream, chopped avocado, and fresh cilantro. Serve with extra lime wedges alongside.