1/2 Photos of Sausage and Chickpea Casserole
I made this with pork and fennel sausages, triple-smoked bacon and ingredients I had in the pantry/fridge. Delicious - but if you start with tasty sausages and bacon, you can’t go wrong! You could make this with any vegetables you happen to have.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the oil in a frying pan and brown the sausages. They don’t have to be cooked through. Remove and let cool slightly.
- 2Cut the bacon into strips and fry in the oil.
- 3Add sliced onions and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until the onions are soft.
- 4Cut the sausage into slices and put in a casserole dish.
- 5Add the tomatoes, drained chickpeas and chopped leek.
- 6If there is a lot of fat in the bacon you may want to drain the fat off the onions and bacon. Add them to the casserole dish.
- 7Add paprika, salt, pepper and thyme and stir to combine. Dried mixed herbs or dried thyme will do.
- 8Finely chop the parsley and add half of it to the dish.
- 9Cover and bake in the oven at 170C/340F for 35 minutes.
- 10In the last few minutes of cooking, steam some cauliflower and/or broccoli or cook in the microwave.
- 11Stir the steamed vegetables into the casserole.
- 12Garnish with the reserved parsley.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage and Chickpea Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (1520 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 799.9
- Calories from Fat 347
- Total Fat 38.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 71.3 mg
- Sodium 1348.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 29.5 g
- Sugars 27.0 g
- Protein 43.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: