Recipe by ~Nimz~
Delicious. The original recipe I believe came from Bon Appetit April 1991 but was given to me by a close friend. I played around with it today and came up with this and it turned out very well, we think. It makes a very thick and rich stew/gumbo combination. Very cheesy.
Top Review by Heydarl
This was a wonderful meal. Easy to put together. I followed the directions, except I sprinkled the cheese on top when serving & left out the salt & pepper - oops, just noticed that I forgot to put the beans in! Thanks ~Nimz~ for sharing this fabulous recipe.
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced (fully cooked) or 1 lb kielbasa
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cooked and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup white wine (I used Chardonnay)
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (6 ounce) can water
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green beans (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (about 6 oz)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (about 6 oz)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- rice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large stock pot over medium to medium high heat.
- Cook sausage until nice and brown, about 20 minutes.
- Remove sausage and set aside.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons fat from pan.
- Sauté onions until tender.
- Add bell peppers and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add wine, turn up heat and boil for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, water, oregano, basil and marjoram and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add sausage and chicken and green beans (if using) and simmer uncover for about 20-30 minutes.
- Add cheeses and serve over rice if desired.