Recipe by Karen Elizabeth
From ' No Time To Cook : One-Dish Meals ", a quick and easy supper dish using pantry ingredients. I chose not to cook the rice separately, but with the other ingrdients, more like a risotto. If you do this, you will need more liquid, I did use a lot more than 1/2 a cup of broth, probably more like 1 and a 1/2, plus the liquid from the canned tomatoes. I also added about 1 tblsp tomato paste that I had in the fridge, plus a dash of brown sugar. And, no salt, more pepper! All according to personal taste! I also added Tabasco to mine, although not my husbands, I prefer more heat. Posting recipe as originally published, but feel free to play :)
Top Review by Bayhill
Delicious! We loved this easy jambalaya! I used a 12 oz. package of spicy Cajun andouille sausage and cooked my rice with the vegetables using 1-1/2 cup chicken broth. The rice was done in about 20 mins. I thought that it needed more liquid as the rice was cooking so I added an 8 oz. can of tomato sauce. Also, I used berbere seasoning, which is a spicy red pepper blend, instead of the cayenne powder. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. It is a keeper! Made for ZWT9 Zingo for The Apron String Travelers.
- 1 cup uncooked rice (I used long-grain white)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 lb chicken tenders, cubed
- 1⁄2 lb smoked Polish sausage, sliced (I used chorizo)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper (my own addition -- )
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Stirfry chicken 2 minutes, add sausage; stirfry chicken and sausage until brown. Remove from pan to separate bowl.
- Add onion and bell peppers to skillet, reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring once or twice. Add garlic, cook and stir, uncovered, 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, sausage, chicken, broth, parsley, thyme, salt, black pepper and red pepper, to pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes, or until most liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in rice and heat through.
- NOTE : as stated in the intro, I made this more like a risotto, cooking the rice in the pan with the vegetables, and using more liquid. Probably took a bit longer, but turned out well :).