Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
From Southern Living.
- 1 (16 ounce) package smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 lb uncooked chicken breast, strips chopped
- 1 (15 7/8 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes with onion and garlic, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 (6 ounce) packagebuttermilk cornbread mix
- 2⁄3 cup water or 2⁄3 cup milk
- Cook sausage in a 2 1/4- to 3-quart ovenproof skillet over medium heat 8 minutes or until browned. Remove sausage from skillet, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Set sausage aside.
- Cook chicken in hot drippings in skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until brown.
- Return sausage to skillet with chicken. Stir in beans and next 3 ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Stir together cornbread mix and 2/3 cup water. Pour evenly over hot sausage mixture in skillet.
- Bake at 400° for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Martha White Buttermilk Cornbread Mix. We also used a Le Creuset 2 1/4-quart (8 1/2-inch-diameter x 3-inch-deep) Saucier Pan at one testing and a hand-me-down 3-quart (10-inch-diameter x 3-inch-deep) cast-iron skillet at another testing. Both skillets worked fine.