Recipe by Bling Lady
These appetizers are a holiday tradition in our family. They take some time to assemble, but are well worth the work. They can also be made ahead and frozen until you are ready to serve.
- 20 phyllo pastry sheets, defrosted overnight in the refrigerator
- 1 lb bulk sausage
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 3⁄4 cup swiss cheese
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown sausage in a large skillet.
- Break apart any large pieces, remove from skillet and drain thoroughly. Set aside. (I usually blot as much of the grease out as I can with paper towels).
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in skillet and sauté onion until translucent. Be sure to scrape up any brown bits left from the sausage.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cream cheese.
- Cool and add sausage and swiss and cheddar cheeses. Mix well.
- Place one sheet Phyllo on a large cutting board and lightly brush with melted butter.
- Place second sheet Phyllo over the butter.
- Cut into 5-7 strips.
- Place approximately 1 teaspoon of sausage & cheese mixture at the end of each strip.
- Roll into a triangle shape.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet and keep covered with plastic wrap until all triangles are completed.
- If you are freezing, place in an airtight container with waxed paper separating each layer.
- (OPTIONAL) Brush tops lightly with butter before baking.
- Bake at 400* for 8-10 minutes (10-12 minutes if frozen) or until tops are lightly brown.
- Cool slightly before serving.