Recipe by Ron Merlin
An incredible alternative to Lasagna. You will not believe how light and puffy it bakes up. Never any thrown away. Actually better the next day in my opinion as the ingredients blend. Instead of crustless white bread I usually use Italian bread just broken into small pieces. I believe I obtained this recipe from Bon Apetit a few years ago.
Top Review by sugarpea
Made this exactly as written adding some green pepper and artichokes. It is very light and I'd be tempted to add more goat cheese next time. Plan on a bit more time to get that melted cheese lightly browned.
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped (not oil packed)
- 12 ounces hot Italian sausage, casing removed
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk (do not use low-fat or nonfat)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 11 slices white bread, crusts trimmed,bread cut into 1 inch pieces (about 1 pound)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup packed grated mozzarella cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled soft fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet)
- chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Place sun-dried tomatoes in medium bowl.
- Pour enough boiling water over to cover.
- Let stand until softened, about 15 minutes.
- Sauté sausages in heavy medium skillet over medium heat until cooked through, breaking up with back of spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to paper towels and drain well.
- Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Whisk milk, eggs, thyme, salt and pepper in large bowl to blend.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, sausage, bread, onion and Parmesan cheese and stir to blend.
- Transfer to prepared dish.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake strata uncovered until puffed and golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella and goat cheese and bake until mozzarella melts, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer pan to rack and cool 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley.