1/1 Photo of Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Strudels
This is an elegant take on breakfast food. It can be made the night before and baked just before serving. Give this a try if you want something a little different than a breakfast casserole or strata. It is a very lovely meal to serve to brunch guests. Enjoy! **Don't let the long list of ingredients or instructions put you off. It is very simple to make.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 lb bulk pork sausage
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1Preheat oven to 375 (if baking right away).
- 2Melt 2 T. butter in a saucepan and blend in flour.
- 3Cook over medium heat until smooth and bubbly, about 1 minute.
- 4Gradually add milk and cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly.
- 5Boil one minute.
- 6Add Swiss cheese and 2 T. parmesan, salt, cayenne and nutmeg.
- 7Stir until cheeses are melted and set aside.
- 8In medium skillet, brown sausage; drain.
- 9Stir in eggs and thyme and cook over medium heat until eggs are just set.
- 10Stir in cheese sauce and 1 T. parsley.
- 11Cool completely.
- 12Unroll phyllo and cover with plastic wrap or a damp cloth to keep moist.
- 13Brush one sheet with melted butter and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- 14Fold in half lengthwise; brush with butter.
- 15Place 1/2 cup filling on bottom of short side of phyllo, leaving a one inch edge on bottom and sides. Roll up.
- 16Place seam side down on ungreased cookie sheet.
- 17In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients.
- 18Brush strudel with melted butter and sprinkle with topping.
- 19Repeat until all five strudels are made.
- 20Bake for 15 minutes or until crisp and light brown.
- 21These can be prepared, covered and refrigerated a day ahead, then baked as directed.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Strudels
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 511.0
- Calories from Fat 352
- Total Fat 39.1 g
- Saturated Fat 21.3 g
- Cholesterol 310.7 mg
- Sodium 597.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 19.9 g