Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 10 mins
This has been our Christmas breakfast since I was a child. I look forward to it every year. You can really change it up and add any type of meat, cheese, or veggies you like. This can easily be a vegetation dish also. This dish is wonderful for lunch if you add chicken, asparagus and Swiss cheese. But, the breakfast strata brings back so many great memories, you just can't beat it!!
- Spray baking dish with Pam.
- Brown sausage and let it cool. Cook bacon and let it cool. Set both aside.
- Mix eggs and milk in separate dish (make sure eggs are well beaten).
- Add cubed bread, shredded cheese and cooled sausage to the egg and milk mixture.
- Pour all ingredients (except bacon into the baking dish).
- Add crumbled bacon to the top of the dish.
- Bake on 350 degrees for 45 minutes. It will puff up pretty high, like a quiche. Let is set for about 25 minutes before serving. It will settle and fall a bit.
Originally I was gonna cut this recipe in half for the 2 of us, but with unexpected company early this morning, I made the whole thing, following the recipe right on down, & we had a wonderfully satisfying mid-morning breakfast! Another time I'd like to try it with a nutty, whole grain bread that we enjoy, & think that would be great tasting, too! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's Pick A Chef event]