Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the South Beach Diet Cookbook. Easy take along breakfast idea.
Make and share this Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Cups - South Beach Diet recipe from Food.com.
- 4 ounces turkey sausage or 4 ounces crumbled turkey bacon
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 onion, chopped
- 5 large eggs or 1 1⁄4 cups Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1 (12 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (2 oz.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat a 6 cup non-stick muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.
- In a medium non-stick skillet, cook the sausage, peppers, and onions for 5 minutes, or until sausage is no longer pink.
- Spoon mixture and cool slightly.
- Stir in eggs and mushrooms.
- Evenly divide mixture into 6 muffin cups; Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until egg is set.
Yummy! I didn't add mushrooms since my hubby doesn't like them and I mixed the cheese into the mixture instead of just on top. I also used a spicy turkey sausage so they had more flavor and a bit of a kick. Turned out wonderfully!
First try I just used sausage, egg and cheese (my Sweetie isn't fond of onions or peppers) but these tasted really good just the same. And what a convenient take-along to eat at work! I'm looking forward to trying them again with some additional ingredients.