Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Wanted a substantial and healthy dinner for a cold night. Also wanted something where my hands were free to do bread and other cooking. Here is a different kind of stew recipe, little savory, little sweet. Enjoy it with a crusty bread and salad for a rounded meal.
- 1 lb Italian sausage, cut up into slices (or use cooked italian sausage balls)
- 1⁄2 cabbage (head-cut into chunks)
- 6 cups beef broth (or use bouillon and water if needed)
- 1 apple (cored, skinned, cubed)
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 tomatoes, cut up (or use a tomato sauce 1/2 c- this cuts some of grease from sausage)
- 1 cup green beans (optional)
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- put all in crock pot, with meat on top.
- cook on low for 7 hours or high 3 1/2 hours.
- add more water if you need it or to make a soup.
This looks so good. I now have it in my crock pot cooking on low. Will keep you posted. I tried to post , but did not go thew. So trying this again. This recipe was fantastic. It is a keeper. Will make it again. Hubby and I both enjoyed this recipe very much. Thanks so much for a wonderful recipe and Merry Christmas to all.
A very tasty and easy meal. I used pork sausages as I couldn't find any Italian ones. I also cooked it longer than the recipe stated and finished the last couple of hours on high. So took about 7 hours on low and 2 hours on high. Can seriously recommend this for an easy after a mid week meal. A nice meal to come home to. Made for Aussie / Kiwi Swap April 2013.
Very Good we use hot sausage and every one love it. Its a keeper.