Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Wanted a substantial and healthy dinner for a cold night. Also wanted something where my hands were free to do bread and other cooking. Here is a different kind of stew recipe, little savory, little sweet. Enjoy it with a crusty bread and salad for a rounded meal.
- 12 ounces Italian sausage, cut up into slices (or use cooked italian sausage balls)
- 3 cups cabbage (shredded or cut into chunks- I used 1/2 head)
- 6 cups beef broth (or use bouillon and water if needed)
- 1 apple, cut up cored, and skinned
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 tomatoes, cut up (or use a tomato sauce 1/2 c- this cuts some of grease from sausage)
- 1 cup green beans (optional)
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- put all in crock pot, with meat on top.
- cook on low for 7 hours or high 3 1/2 hours.
- add more water if you need it or to make a soup.
I love cabbage and I love to use my crock pot, so this recipe was meant for me. The flavor is great and it is a hearty meal. However, ours was more like a soup rather than a stew. But still it was delicious.