1/2 Photos of Sausage and Cabbage Soup
This recipe has linguica (Portuguese) sausage in it! I love cabbage and sausage soups in the winter time, think this would be delicious then. Do not use dark ale or stout....it will be too bitter...only use a light wheat beer. To make this easier, buy a bag of shredded cabbage and carrots to equal the correct amounts. Adapted from Sunset.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces linguica sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped (6 oz.)
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 5 cups chicken broth, fat-skimmed
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle wheat beer (hefeweizen)
- 1 lb small red potato, scrubbed and quartered (1 1/2-inch wide)
- 1 1/2 quarts cabbage, finely shredded (8 to 12 oz)
- 1 cup carrot, sliced 1/4 in. thick
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- whole grain mustard
- 1In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir sausage often until lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Spoon out and discard all but 1 tablespoon fat from pan.
- 2Add onion and garlic to pan; stir often until limp, 3 minutes.
- 3Increase heat to high. Add broth, beer, potatoes, cabbage, and carrots. Wrap and tie coriander, allspice, and peppercorns in cheesecloth; add to the pot. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender to bite, 10 to 15 minutes. Discard wrapped spices.
- 4Stir in parsley. Ladle soup into bowls. Serve mustard alongside to add to taste.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage and Cabbage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (448 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 182.4
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 789.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 8.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: