Ciorba, Romanian "sour soup," is a delicious slightly-sour soup that often contains meat and an assortment of vegetables. The sourness can be from any number of things (lemons, borscht, vinegar, etc.) and is often mellowed by the addition of a dollop of sour cream when serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage (cut or shaped into bite-size pieces)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups green cabbage, shredded (approximately half a head of a medium sized cabbage)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed (more or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white vinegar (more or less to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 1Brown the sausage in the EVOO over med-high heat.
- 2Add the cabbage and onions. Continue to cook over med-high heat for approximately 10 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked through.
- 3Add the caraway seeds and pepper flakes. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes, skimming foam from top.
- 4Stir in vinegar and taste.
- 5Add sour cream, if desired, when served.
- 6Note: you may also add a potatoes or noodles to make this a more substantial dish.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage and Cabbage Ciorba
Serving Size: 1 (321 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 301.5
- Calories from Fat 176
- Total Fat 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 37.7 mg
- Sodium 953.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 16.4 g