Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
After making "Tony Luke's" Roast Pork Sandwich so many times, I thought I'd come up with something to try to top it as far as my family was concerned, well this did the trick! For the pasta, use something substantial, like a GOOD oriccheti, or frozen cavetelli. (p.s. this recipe doubles or triples easily for crowds... and it is a CROWD PLEASER!)
- 1 lb sausage (Sweet Italian)
- 1⁄2 lb rapini (broccoli rabe')
- 1 lb frozen pasta (such as cavetelli or orichetti)
- 1 -2 garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons locatelli cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt & pepper
- Bring two large pots of salted water to a boil.
- While the water is heating, remove sausage from casings (if you can't find Italian sausage bulk)heat a large frying pan over medium heat and place sausage in the pan, breaking into bite sized pieces while cooking.
- Cook sausage till nicely browned, (reserve).
- Cut off stems from Broccoli Rabe and place in boiling water.
- Boil your pasta of choice only cut back on time from the package directions by 1-2 minutes.
- Thinly slice 1-2 cloves of garlic, and place in a small sauce pan with the olive oil (and pepper flakes if desired).
- Cook garlic till lightly toasted (be careful! Don't burn it).
- When broccoli rabe is tender resesrve about 1 cup of the cooking liquid and drain the broccoli.
- Use the cooking liquid from the broccoli rabe to deglaze the frying pan with the sausage.
- Return the drained broccoli to the pot, add the sausage and the cooked pasta.
- Add Olive oil with garlic and the cheese and toss together.
- simmer all ingredients together for about 1-2 minutes (to allow flavors to marry).
- serve with extra cheese for sprinkling.
OMG - it was like my grandmother returned to this world! What a nostalgic and delicious dish! I made it exactly as posted, and it was authentically perfect! Thanks for sharing this and bringing back so many memories for me!