Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 42 mins
This is a modified version of the recipe that was on the package of the black lentils I bought. Black Lentils are smaller than regular ones and do not require pre-soaking. They are also called belluga lentils, a pic of them is here http://www.foodsubs.com/Lentils.html. For this recipe to be gluten-free suitable care to be taken that gluten-free sausages are used and serve with a gluten-free bread
- 1 1⁄2 cups lentils
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, bulk (can use medium or mild)
- 8 ounces frozen sweet corn
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 5 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Brown sausage over medium heat with onions and celery breaking them into small pieces.
- Pour in the water, add pepper and lentils. Stir all the ingredients, bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring from time to time to prevent the lentils from sticking or burning. Remove lid for the last 1/2 hour while simmering.
- Serve in bowls with crusty bread.
I have also made this recipe several times. It is absolutely delicious. I found it on the bag of Trader Joe's black lentils (which they don't sell any longer).