Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Slow cookers are a time saver....as shown by this recipe. Ten minutes max to get it all into the pot....just set it and forget it for the next 3 hours if set on HIGH.
- 4 large bell peppers, assorted colors, seeded and sliced
- 1 large onion, cut in wedges
- 1 1⁄4 lbs Italian sausages (hot or sweet, pork or turkey)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 6 grinder rolls (submarine, hoagie,)
- Combine peppers, onion, sausages, vinegar, thyme and black pepper in a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker.
- Cook on HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 6 hours. Use a slotted spoon to remove peppers, onions and sausage from cooker: set aside and keep warm.
- Heat broiler. Pour liquid from slow cooker into a small saucepan. Whisk in cornstarch mixture and mustard. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Slice rolls almost all the way through lenghtwise. Place on a baking sheet, cut side up, on top rack under broiler for 1 to 2 minutes or until rolls are toasted. Cut sausage diagonally into 1/2 inch thick slices and stir back into pepper mixture. Place a scant 1 cup sausage mixture on each roll. Drizzle with a generous 2 tablespoons of the sauce. Serve immediately.
- You can use any remaining sauce for dipping.
I saw this recipe in Family Circle. My husband loved it. I prefer sausage and peppers with a tomatoe base, personally, but we certainly ate it all up!