Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a great and versatile soup that can be modified in so many ways to fit your tastes. Awesome comfort food, easy to prepare, and tastes great served right away or leftover. Use whatever sausage you like (I like Italian best), add pasta, barley, etc. Serve with crusty bread and a salad for a really nice meal.
- 1 lb Italian sausage, sliced (or other favorite sausage)
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 and a half 14 oz cans beef broth (or more)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse and drain beans.
- In a large pot, brown the sausage over medium heat. Halfway through, add onions and garlic, and cook until onion is transparent.
- When sausage is fully cooked, drain excess fat.
- Add beans, tomatoes, broth, kale and basil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with grated cheese.
Wow! Very simple. I added some potatoes I had laying about and it was made and ready to eat in 30 minutes. P.s. Do I need kale or not?