A brisk fall or winter evening is just the time for a steaming bowl of this nourishing vegetable soup. Tender little white beans add substance. Polish sausage a bonus of flavor. Accompany this meal-in-one-bowl with rye bread, milk and for dessert, fresh oranges and sugar cookies. Deliciossso!!!
- 1 cup white beans, rinsed anddrained
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, medium and finely chopped
- 3 leeks, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 (49 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 potatoes, medium and diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 lb Polish sausage, sliced
- Bring beans and water to boiling in a medium sauce pan. Boil briskly for 2 minute then remove from heat. Let stand, covered 1 hours.
- In a 5-6 quart kettle melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion, leek, celery and carrots, stirring until onion is soft. Mix in parsley, broth, beans and their liquid potatoes and thyme. Bring to boiling. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until beans are tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Add sausage slices. Cover and simmer 20 minute.
- Taste, and add salt if needed.