Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Crockery Cookbook
Make and share this Sausage and Bean Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup dried great northern beans
- 1⁄2 cup dried black beans or 1⁄2 cup dried kidney beans
- 1⁄2 cup dried lima beans
- 1⁄2 cup dried garbanzo beans
- 1⁄2 cup dried split peas
- 2 cups reduced-fat ham or 2 cups smoked reduced-fat sausage, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 cups water, divided
- Rinse dry beans and drain. Add water to 2 inches over beans, cover, and let stand 8 hours or put beans in a large saucepan, cover with 6 cups of water; bring to boil; simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- In crockpot, combine ham or smoked sausage, carrot, onion, basil, oregano, salt, pepper,and bay leaves. Stir in drained beans and remaining 6 cups of fresh water.
- Cover; cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours. Discard the bay leaves.