1/1 Photo of Sausage and Bean Soup
3 hrs 30 mins
Great for a cold winter evening. This recipe is from my Dad, whom I learned to cook from. Leftovers freeze well for another meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup small white beans, rinsed,and drained
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 leeks, sliced (use part of green tops)
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 (49 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 lb Polish sausage or 1 lb smoked bratwurst, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 1Bring beans and water to boiling in a medium saucepan.
- 2Boil briskly for 2 minutes, remove from heat let stand, covered for 1 hour.
- 3In a large pot melt butter over medium heat.
- 4Cook onion, leeks, celery, and carrots, stirring, until onion is soft.
- 5Mix in parsley, broth, beans and their liquid, potatoes and thyme.
- 6Bring to boiling, cover, reduce heat, and simmer until beans are tender about 21/2 hours.
- 7Add sausage slices.
- 8Cover and simmer 20 minites.
- 9Taste and add salt if needed.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage and Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (627 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 708.4
- Calories from Fat 370
- Total Fat 41.2 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 94.7 mg
- Sodium 2269.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 32.5 g