Recipe by momstar
Great for a cold winter evening. This recipe is from my Dad, whom I learned to cook from. Leftovers freeze well for another meal.
- 1 cup small white beans, rinsed,and drained
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 leeks, sliced (use part of green tops)
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 (49 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 lb Polish sausage or 1 lb smoked bratwurst, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring beans and water to boiling in a medium saucepan.
- Boil briskly for 2 minutes, remove from heat let stand, covered for 1 hour.
- In a large pot melt butter over medium heat.
- Cook onion, leeks, celery, and carrots, stirring, until onion is soft.
- Mix in parsley, broth, beans and their liquid, potatoes and thyme.
- Bring to boiling, cover, reduce heat, and simmer until beans are tender about 21/2 hours.
- Add sausage slices.
- Cover and simmer 20 minites.
- Taste and add salt if needed.