Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great to have in the freezer for a cold winter night. From Everyday Food.
- 12 slices white bread
- 2 lbs smoked Polish sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans great northern beans or 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Use a food processor to pulse bread until coarse crumbs form. Season the crumbs with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large, heavy skillet, cook the sausage, onions and garlic, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent and the sausage is starting to brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, chicken broth, wine, thyme, and two cups of water to the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the beans.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in two cups of the breadcrumbs.
- Divide the mixture between two 3-quart shallow baking dishes and top with the remaining breadcrumbs.
- Wrap one baking dish tightly and freeze for later.
- Bake the other dish until the mixture is bubbly and the topping is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- To cook the frozen casserole, bake it covered, without thawing, at 375°F for about an hour, or until the center is hot and bubbly. Uncover and cook for about 20 minutes more, or until the topping is golden brown.