Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is the classic Italian pasta and beans recipe which includes Italian sausage and ground beef and topped with cheese, then baked in the oven.
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (or use diced tomatoed with juice)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb mostaccioli pasta, cooked to firm-tender and drained
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped (or to taste)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated (mozzeralla)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9 casserole dish.
- In a heavy large sautepan, saute the first 6 ingredients over medium-high heat until sausage and beef are brown, crumbling with a fork (about 5 minutes).
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and cayenne; simmer for 5 minuted, breaking up tomatoes with back of a spoon.
- Add in the kidney beans, and heat through just for a few minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the cooked mostaccioli pasta, Parmesan and parsley; toss to combine.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the grated Fontina or Provolone.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until cheese melts -- delicious!