This is the classic Italian pasta and beans recipe which includes Italian sausage and ground beef and topped with cheese, then baked in the oven.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (or use diced tomatoed with juice)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb mostaccioli pasta, cooked to firm-tender and drained
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped (or to taste)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated (mozzeralla)
- 1Set oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Grease a 13 x 9 casserole dish.
- 3In a heavy large sautepan, saute the first 6 ingredients over medium-high heat until sausage and beef are brown, crumbling with a fork (about 5 minutes).
- 4Add in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and cayenne; simmer for 5 minuted, breaking up tomatoes with back of a spoon.
- 5Add in the kidney beans, and heat through just for a few minutes.
- 6Season with salt and pepper.
- 7Add in the cooked mostaccioli pasta, Parmesan and parsley; toss to combine.
- 8Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- 9Sprinkle with the grated Fontina or Provolone.
- 10Bake for about 30 minutes, or until cheese melts -- delicious!
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage and Bean Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 731.0
- Calories from Fat 306
- Total Fat 34.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 96.8 mg
- Sodium 1399.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 42.2 g