Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the classic Italian pasta and beans recipe which includes Italian sausage and ground beef and topped with cheese, then baked in the oven.
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (or use diced tomatoed with juice)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb mostaccioli pasta, cooked to firm-tender and drained
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped (or to taste)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated (mozzeralla)
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9 casserole dish.
- In a heavy large sautepan, saute the first 6 ingredients over medium-high heat until sausage and beef are brown, crumbling with a fork (about 5 minutes).
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and cayenne; simmer for 5 minuted, breaking up tomatoes with back of a spoon.
- Add in the kidney beans, and heat through just for a few minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the cooked mostaccioli pasta, Parmesan and parsley; toss to combine.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the grated Fontina or Provolone.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until cheese melts -- delicious!