Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
You may use fresh sliced mushrooms that have been sauteed in butter in place of canned. If you are planning to serve more than 8 people then prepare two separate recipes and bake in two dishes --- I use all of a 400 gram French bread that amount works perfectly for this recipe --- add in chopped cooked carrots or peas to the stuffing mixture if desired, I have even added in cooked chopped bacon along with the sausage! this is a fantastic stuffing casserole!
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄3 cup butter (can use less butter)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bulk pork sausage (casings removed)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (or to taste)
- 1 large celery rib, chopped
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (can use 1 or 2 cans, drained)
- 2 -3 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped (use Granny Smith for this)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (can use more)
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 -2 teaspoon poultry seasoning (or to taste)
- seasoned salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 8 cups French bread (leave the crusts on, and cut into 3/4-inch cubes)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream or 1 cup full-fat milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups good-quality canned chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted (or to taste)
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Heat 1/3 cup oil and 1/3 cup butter butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add in the sausage meat with the onion, garlic, celery, mushrooms, parsley, sage, bay leaf, poultry seasoning and chopped apples; saute over medium heat until the sausage meat is cooked and the veggies are tender (about 5 minutes).
- Season with seasoned salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cubed bread to the sausage/veggies mixture; mix to combine and season with more seasoned salt and black pepper.
- In a bowl mix together 1 cup of broth with 1 cup half and half cream (or milk) melted butter and eggs until well combined.
- Add to the breadcrumb/veggie mixture; toss to combine (season with more salt and pepper if desired).
- Transfer mixture to the buttered cassserole dish.
- Drizzle top with remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth (if you prefer your stuffing on the dry side, then omit the 1/2 cup of broth on top).
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
- At this point you can cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours.
- Bake uncovered for about 50 minutes or until cooked through and brown.