Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe came from a local newspaper and I thought it was too interesting not to share.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 4 ounces italian sausage meat, crumbled
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, diced
- 3 cups bread prepared stuffing
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 4 medium zucchini
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In a large saute pan, over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add onion, carrot, celery and fennel seeds.
- Saute until onion is tender and transparent, about 5 minute.
- Add sausage and apple.
- Saute until meat is cooked, about 3 minute.
- Add the stuffing and mix well.
- Drizzle in broth and mix well.
- Turn off the heat, cover the pan and let sit 10 minute.
- Meanwhile, slice the zucchini in half lengthwise.
- Use a spoon or melon baller to scrape out the seedy center of each half.
- Arrange them on a rimmed baking sheet or in a large shallow baking dish.
- Fill each half with the stuffing mixture, packing it well.
- Bake until zucchini are tender, about 20 minute.