1/5 Photos of Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Sweet squash and spicy sausage...Mmmm! A great fall dish. I made this recipe up after searching for the perfect stuffed squash recipe-I think this is it!The stuffing would also be delicious in turkey or chicken. The squash can be cooked ahead of time-you may need to bake longer after stuffing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 lb pork sausage (regular seasoning)
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 2 apples, cored and chopped (macintosh)
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1Combine the melted butter, garlic salt and 1/4 teaspoons sage; brush over cut sides and cavity of squash. Salt and pepper to taste.
- 2Bake in a large roasting pan, cut side up, at 400 degrees F for 1 hour, until squash is tender yet still holds its shape.
- 3Meanwhile make stuffing: Fry pork sausage until light brown. Remove pork to a colander to drain. Drain all but 2 tablespoons drippings from frypan. Add onion, celery and mushroom; saute 4 minutes. Stir in apple and saute 2 more minutes.
- 4Combine the pork, vegetables, and breadcrumbs in a large bowl.
- 5Taste and season with sage, salt or pepper if needed (depending on your sausage you may not want to add more seasoning).
- 6Stir in the egg and parsley.
- 7Fill the squash halves with stuffing-they should be slightly mounded.
- 8Return to oven and bake, covered, for 20 more minutes, until the egg is set.
- 9Garnish as desired with parsley and shredded romano cheese.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash
Serving Size: 1 (523 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 646.1
- Calories from Fat 325
- Total Fat 36.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 135.8 mg
- Sodium 981.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 25.5 g