Recipe by lazyme
This is our favorite sausage and sauerkraut dish ever. It's very filling and smells wonderful while it's cooking. From the Orbit Restaurant (Polish) in Chicago.
Top Review by threeovens
Delicious and very easy. I am always afraid to cook in the oven because I am afraid the liquid will cook out (especially since I cut this down to one serving). But it worked perfectly.
- 6 slices smoked bacon, 2-inch wide strips
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 lbs sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 4 juniper berries or 1 tablespoon gin
- 1 1⁄2 lbs kielbasa, 3-inch lengths
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- Place bacon, onion and carrot in heavy large ovenproof Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Saute until onion is tender but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Squeeze as much liquid as possible from sauerkraut.
- Add sauerkraut to Dutch oven.
- Add wine, stock, caraway seeds and juniper berries.
- Bring to simmer.
- Cover tightly, place in oven and bake 1 hour.
- Add kielbasa to Dutch oven, pushing into sauerkraut.
- Cover and bake 1 hour.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat, stirring frequently).