Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is our favorite sausage and sauerkraut dish ever. It's very filling and smells wonderful while it's cooking. From the Orbit Restaurant (Polish) in Chicago.
- Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- Place bacon, onion and carrot in heavy large ovenproof Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Saute until onion is tender but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Squeeze as much liquid as possible from sauerkraut.
- Add sauerkraut to Dutch oven.
- Add wine, stock, caraway seeds and juniper berries.
- Bring to simmer.
- Cover tightly, place in oven and bake 1 hour.
- Add kielbasa to Dutch oven, pushing into sauerkraut.
- Cover and bake 1 hour.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat, stirring frequently).
Delicious and very easy. I am always afraid to cook in the oven because I am afraid the liquid will cook out (especially since I cut this down to one serving). But it worked perfectly.
i loved this recipe it was really i cut in half and worked very well for me zaar tour 6 used those little smokeys
A delicious comfort meal. I can get really good sauerkraut at a German supermarket here and was very glad to try it in this recipe. Used brats insted of kielbasa. Thanks.