Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A nice make ahead side dish that goes with any German entree. From Gourmet magazine, November 1991.
Make and share this Sauerkraut With Apple and Caraway recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed
- In a large heavy saucepan combine the sauerkraut, the apples, the wine, the broth, the brown sugar, and the caraway seeds and simmer the mixture, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- The sauerkraut may be made 1 day in advance, kept covered and chilled, and reheated.
Very good. Pre made for the July 4th party. Cut the sugar in half. Thanks. Made for ZWT6
We had this with some Beef Rouladens. It was a good dish, not overly sweet or overly sour. Felt like it was missing a little something for us. Our German neighbor up the street makes a similar dish but starts with some carmelized onions. Great way to dress up saurkraut. Would be good will keilbasa sausage I bet!
Made this for ZWT4. I must admit that I had reservations when I saw the ingredients BUT my DW and I both really enjoyed this dish. I used a Maryland wine and the apples really set this dish off. We are use to "sour" sauerkraut but we both agree that this recipe is our favorite. Thank you for a great recipe.