Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
In honor of the World Cup Games, this recipe comes from the German Agricultural Marketing Board and was in the 6/7/06 edition of the Chicago Sun-Times FOOD section. If you can get pretzel rolls, definitely use them, they're extremely delicious.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely shredded german emmenthaler cheese, divided
- 1 cup sauerkraut, squeezed dry
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons medium-hot German mustard, plus extra for spreading on buns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 pretzel rolls or 4 other sandwich buns, split horizontally and toasted
- red onion ring
- sliced tomatoes
- lettuce leaf
- Combine turkey, 1 cup Emmentaler cheese, sauerkraut, bread crumbs, egg white, mustard, caraway seeds (if using), salt and pepper in a large bowl; mix together. Evenly shape into 4 patties.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Place burgers in skillet and cook, turning once, 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Sprinkle burgers evenly with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Spread rolls with additional German mustard. Place burgers on buns and top with your choice of pickles, onions, tomatoes and lettuce.