Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 20 mins
These are different as they are stuffed with sauerkraut. I adapted the recipe from Gudrun Rutschilka's 'Neue landfrauen Rezepte'. Posted for the Zaar World Tour 2006. These work extremely well in a Römertopf, a clay pot, but you can use a normal casserole as well.
- 12 small bell peppers (mixed colours)
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb fresh sauerkraut, if you can't find fresh use a tin
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch fresh dill, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese, cubed
- 7 ounces creme fraiche
- 4 eggs, beaten
- hot paprika, to taste
- Cut the top of all peppers, and put it aside. Clean out all the seeds and inner bits, wasch and dry well.
- Sautee the onion in 2 tbsp of olive oil until translucent. Add the sauerkraut and tomato paste. Add the sugar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow to simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- Add the fresh dill and, feta and 3 tbsp creme fraiche to the sauerkraut.
- Grease a casserole dish or deep oven tray.
- Divide the filling between the peppers and place the in the dish.
- Mix the eggs with the remaining creme fraich, a few drops of water and the paprika. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour into the oven dish.
- Place the tops back onto the bell peppers and cover the dish either with a lid or strong tin foil.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes remove the foil, brush the tops of the peppers with a little olive oil.
- Turn of the oven and allow the peppers to rest in the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- IF USING A CLAY POT (RöMERTOPF): Water your clay pot for 20 minutes before using. Place the covered dish into a cold oven and bake for 1 1/4 hours at the same temperature.