1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 20 mins
These are different as they are stuffed with sauerkraut. I adapted the recipe from Gudrun Rutschilka's 'Neue landfrauen Rezepte'. Posted for the Zaar World Tour 2006. These work extremely well in a Römertopf, a clay pot, but you can use a normal casserole as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 small bell peppers (mixed colours)
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb fresh sauerkraut, if you can't find fresh use a tin
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 lb feta cheese, cubed
- 7 ounces creme fraiche
- 4 eggs, beaten
- hot paprika, to taste
- 1Cut the top of all peppers, and put it aside. Clean out all the seeds and inner bits, wasch and dry well.
- 2Sautee the onion in 2 tbsp of olive oil until translucent. Add the sauerkraut and tomato paste. Add the sugar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow to simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- 3Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- 4Add the fresh dill and, feta and 3 tbsp creme fraiche to the sauerkraut.
- 5Grease a casserole dish or deep oven tray.
- 6Divide the filling between the peppers and place the in the dish.
- 7Mix the eggs with the remaining creme fraich, a few drops of water and the paprika. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour into the oven dish.
- 8Place the tops back onto the bell peppers and cover the dish either with a lid or strong tin foil.
- 9Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- 10After 40 minutes remove the foil, brush the tops of the peppers with a little olive oil.
- 11Turn of the oven and allow the peppers to rest in the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- 12IF USING A CLAY POT (RöMERTOPF): Water your clay pot for 20 minutes before using. Place the covered dish into a cold oven and bake for 1 1/4 hours at the same temperature.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sauerkraut Stuffed Bell Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (370 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 673.4
- Calories from Fat 506
- Total Fat 56.3 g
- Saturated Fat 24.4 g
- Cholesterol 330.0 mg
- Sodium 1577.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 15.9 g
- Protein 19.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: