Recipe by eboyd
A soup from the Pittsburgh ares
Top Review by Agnes DiFonzo
Very good, very easy to make, easier to eat! I've never heard of sauerkraut soup but notice that there are others posted in this website, and I'm going to try them also. This recipe has a few typos, didn't know what size canned tomatoes to use so used a small one.
- 1 lb short rib of beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 (27 ounce) can sauerkraut
- 6 cups stock (boullion or skimmed)
- canned tomato
- 10 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove fat from bones, but leave meat.
- Brown onion and meat in oil, then add sauerkraut.
- Add remaining ingredients; bring to boil and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Lift out bones, pepper and bay leaves.
- Scrape off all meat form bones, cut into chunks and add to soup.
- Check salt and seasoning and serve.
- Can be frozen Mrs.
- james Harris Three Rivers Cookbook 1 format by Emilie rwsm05a (I wonder how this would be with shredded corned beef and a touch of German mustard?) You could substitute smoked sausage for the ribs.