Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A soup from the Pittsburgh ares
- 1 lb short rib of beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 (27 ounce) can sauerkraut
- 6 cups stock (boullion or skimmed)
- canned tomato
- 10 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- Remove fat from bones, but leave meat.
- Brown onion and meat in oil, then add sauerkraut.
- Add remaining ingredients; bring to boil and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Lift out bones, pepper and bay leaves.
- Scrape off all meat form bones, cut into chunks and add to soup.
- Check salt and seasoning and serve.
- Can be frozen Mrs.
- james Harris Three Rivers Cookbook 1 format by Emilie rwsm05a (I wonder how this would be with shredded corned beef and a touch of German mustard?) You could substitute smoked sausage for the ribs.
Very good, very easy to make, easier to eat! I've never heard of sauerkraut soup but notice that there are others posted in this website, and I'm going to try them also. This recipe has a few typos, didn't know what size canned tomatoes to use so used a small one.
This was so easy and so delicious! Very tangy and flavorful and my family loved it! I used ground beef instead of short ribs, let it simmer for about twenty minutes and it was done in thirty minutes instead of an hour and thirty minutes. Great recipe, I'm glad I found it!