1/1 Photo of Sauerkraut Soup Ala Sooz's Family
Sooz Cooks's Note:
Even the people in my family who claim to "hate" sauerkraut love this soup. It is my adaptation from a recipe I had that I KNEW the family would NOT like. This is so good on a cold winter day served with warm crusty bread and a nice German Beer. This can be low(er) carb too by using a LC thickener.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb smoked sausage (Kielbasa)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder (can use 1 chopped onion if your family likes onion)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 8 ounces sauerkraut, with juice
- 4 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1Melt butter in a large dutch oven.
- 2Chop the sausage coarsely by hand or in a food processor (leave the casing on).
- 3Transfer the sausage to pan with melted butter, and season with onion powder (or add onion).
- 4Saute over medium heat until the sausage is lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- 5On a small plate combine the flour, thyme, parsley and pepper. Add to the sausage and brown all together until the mixture bubbles up, about 5 minutes.
- 6Add the chicken broth, milk and the half-and-half, and cook stirring until the mixture again bubbles up, about 5 minutes.
- 7Add the sauerkraut and it juice and bring to a boil; the mixture will continue to thicken.
- 8Reduce heat and add Velveeta, stirring until melted.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sauerkraut Soup Ala Sooz's Family
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 395.9
- Calories from Fat 274
- Total Fat 30.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 76.7 mg
- Sodium 1509.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 18.9 g